Our Local Offer

1. How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

We are committed to early identification of special educational needs and adopt a graduated response to meeting them in line with the SEND Code of Practice 2014. A range of evidence is collected through school assessment and monitoring arrangements. If this suggests that your child is not making the expected progress, the class teacher will consult with both you and the school SENDCO (Special Educational Needs & Disability Coordinator) in order to decide whether additional or different provision is necessary. In addition to the usual assessment, there are specialist assessment tools which we use to explore the reasons for any difficulties. There is no need for pupils to be registered or identified as having special educational needs unless the school is taking additional or different action. Until the we meet a child’s needs though quality first teaching and differentiation in the classroom.

If you have a concern about your child’s progress or believe they have a special educational need, this should be first discussed with the class teacher. Additional assessment or support can then be discussed with the SENCO.

2. How will the school support my child?

Our Governing Body ensure that as a school we make appropriate provision for all pupils identified as having special educational needs. The named SENDCO for the school is Mrs Mhairi Sear. A member of the Governing body, Mrs Jenny Schmidschneider, takes particular interest in special educational needs, although the Governing Body as a whole is responsible for making provision for pupils with special educational needs.

The school may support your child in a variety of ways depending on their individual needs. The first way is within the class, where learning tasks will be matched to your child’s needs and will be overseen by the class teacher. An additional provision may be through targeted small group work that may take place in or out of the classroom. Your child’s targets will be set by class teacher in collaboration with the SENCO. A further level of provision may involve your child working individually with a member of staff to meet specific targets. These targets may be set out in an ILP (Individual Learning Plan) which are recorded on the school’s Provision Map. These describe the support that is additional to or different from that provided as part of the School’s usual differentiated curriculum.

3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Our school strives to provide an engaging and exciting curriculum for all children. Your child’s class teacher will plan for the variety of needs in the classroom by providing appropriate tasks and achievable outcomes to consolidate and extend children’s learning.  For children with special educational needs, the teacher may provide different resources or there may be an adult to assist a small group of children to complete the task as independently as possible.

4. How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

In addition to the regular parent meetings, you will be kept regularly informed of your child’s progress by agreeing and sharing your child’s targets with the class teacher. This will identify the next steps for your child to make progress and how the school and you can help them. Progress will be monitored and reviewed regularly to ensure that both you and your child can express your views and are fully involved in decisions. Regular contact may be communicated through a home/school link book, emails, telephone calls or meetings.

5. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

We aim to develop children’s emotional and social well-being in partnership with parents and carers. In some cases this may be provided by specialist support from either our Family Link Worker (Mrs Michelle Miles) or our ELSA (Mrs Jessica Wilson) who supports parents and children in addressing the needs of learners who require assistance in overcoming barriers to learning in order to achieve their full potential. Healthcare plans and pastoral support plans can be used to meet specific needs. These plans are created in collaboration with school, parents and pupils, and other agencies as appropriate, and they are monitored and reviewed at agreed intervals.

6. What specialist services and expertise are available at the school?

External support services play an important part in helping the school identify, assess and make provision for children with SEN. These include:

  • Regular conversations with Educational Psychologists for the school.
  • Seeking advice from specialist advisory teaching services for children with sensory impairment or physical difficulties or from services like Occupational Therapy Service.
  • Advice and support from the Speech and Language Therapist and contributions to the reviews of pupils with significant speech and language difficulties.
  • Advice and support from the Primary Mental Health Worker and local Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) for children with emotional and behavioural needs and Family and Child Support Specialist (FACSS) Claire Mitchell
  • Advice and support from the school nurse and community paediatrician (Child Development Centre or CDC).
  • Targeted support for families on a variety of issues through the Family Link Worker service.
  • Referral to the Education Welfare Officer service.
  • External Specialist Support Services e.g. The Root of It; Play therapists, etc.

Before the school make any referrals, we will always gain your permission first.

7. What training are the staff supporting children with special educational needs having?

We make an annual audit of training needs for all staff taking into account school priorities and personal professional development. Particular support is given to new members of staff and to training that addresses children’s specific needs. The SENDCOs of each school within the Chichester Locality meet together each term to share good practice and this is a strength of our group of schools.

8. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

It is the school’s policy to enable every child to participate as fully as possible in all elements of the wider curriculum. We ensure that all children attend school trips and residential visits with support as appropriate. Where necessary, the school will meet with parents and carers to discuss individual needs prior to any visit or activity.

9. How accessible is the setting?
Our school has an accessibility policy which is reviewed regularly. As part of this review, we ensure that the school environment is accessible for all children, including those with physical and sensory needs or where English is not a first language.

10. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school and transfer to the next stage of education or life?

When you apply for a place for your child at the school, we encourage you to share your concerns about your child’s special educational needs or pass on information about any specialist support or agencies already working with you. We will contact any previous educational establishments for relevant information. Any practical arrangements can then be discussed and put in place.

At the end of the school year or if your child moves to another setting, the relevant staff communicate to pass on information and ensure that transition arrangements are in place.

11. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s individual special educational needs?

The school receives money as part of their annual budget to support provision for special educational needs. It is used to pay for staffing and resources which support children with special educational needs throughout the school.

On top of this resource, there may be additional funding from the Government and West Sussex County Council to support individual children on specific programmes. This includes ‘Pupil Premium’ money and additional funds for children with an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP).

12. How is the decision made about the support my child will receive?

Every child’s needs are carefully assessed and decisions are then made based on the ability of a child to access the curriculum and make progress. The school SENCO will work closely with you and all staff to discuss relevant interventions, adult support and advice from specialist services to make best use of available resources. We regularly assess the impact of any additional support and resources and report children’s progress to parents.

13. How are parents involved in the school? How can I be involved?
Parents are involved right from the beginning of any discussions about their child and this will take the form of ongoing structured conversations.

14. Who can I contact for further information?
The first point of contact will always be your child’s class teacher.

The SENDCO at this school is Mrs Mhairi Sear. The best way to make contact is to email her on: msear@chidham.w-sussex.sch.uk